Locations & Jurisdictions

 I represent clients in state court including the Virginia Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courts, the Virginia General District Courts including Traffic Court, and the Virginia Circuit Courts. Divorce and probate issues are litigated in Circuit Court. Most of my clients live and work in Roanoke City, Roanoke County, the City of Salem, the Town of Blacksburg, Montgomery County, the Town of Fincastle, Botetourt County, the City of Bedford, Bedford County, Franklin County, Boones Mill, the Town of Rocky Mount, the City of Lynchburg, and Campbell County.

If you are looking for affordable legal advice, give me a call. The initial consultation is free if you are contemplating drafting a last will and testament. Other consultations may be free or have a small charge and I will advise you up front if there is a charge. In all cases, I accept new clients by putting the agreement into a written retainer. An attorney client relationship is NOT formed by virtue of you visiting this web site, reading any information provided here, or sending an email to this office. An attorney client relationship may only be formed by a written, signed fee agreement. The information on this site is for advertising purposes.

Why should you call a Roanoke Child Custody Attorney?

It is not always obvious where you should file a child custody petition or a motion to modify a prior custody order. I represent clients before both the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and the Circuit Court. If you live in Montgomery County, Blacksburg, Radford, Christiansburg, Pulaski, Pearisburg, Dublin, Giles County, Floyd, Ricky Mount, Franklin County, New Castle, Craig County, Fincastle, Troutville, Botetourt County, Salem, Roanoke City, or Roanoke County, I would like to meet with you. Call me for a free consultation.

Why should you call an attorney regarding a traffic ticket?

All traffic tickets are not the same. Some speeding tickets are charged as reckless driving misdemeanors. It is a serious allegation and you should speak with a Roanoke traffic attorney or criminal defense attorney. Reckless driving is a criminal offense, not a traffic citation, and it can be punished by suspending your license, up to one year in jail, and a fine of $2,500.00. A driver can be charged with reckless driving if the driver is more than 20 miles per hour over the maximum speed level or in excess of 80 miles per hour no matter what the posted speed limit is. It is not pre-payable and you are required to appear in court as ordered on the summons. 

What if I live out of state and was only passing through Virginia at the time of the traffic stop?

Out of state residents facing misdemeanor reckless driving charges can ask the Judge for the option to be represented by a local attorney who will be permitted to appear on behalf of the defendant in front of the judge. The Commonwealth Attorney may object to this option, but generally does not do so if the reckless driving charge is due to speed alone, and it is not alleged the speed exceeded 90 miles per hour. This means you may not have to incur all of the expenses of traveling back and forth between Virginia and your home state. If you choose to hire an attorney to appear for you, it is crucial you communicate regularly with the attorney. Pick an attorney you are confident will return your phone calls and emails.

What if I live in Bedford and need a child custody lawyer?

If you and the child both live in Bedford, Virginia, your petition will be filed in Bedford. The good news is that most of the required information can be provided over the phone and it is not necessary to travel to Roanoke for every meeting. I represent parents outside of Roanoke and I travel to the courthouse when needed. Roanoke is connected to Interstate 81 and other major highways such as 220 and 221, so you should not let location prevent you from hiring an attorney you trust. It is crucial you communicate regularly with your attorney, so pick an attorney you are confident will return your phone calls and emails.

What is the difference between physical and legal custody in a will ?

If you have questions about the difference between physical and legal custody, give me a call. The initial 20 minute last will and testament consultation is free. Your last will and testament can name different custodians and the money manager (legal custodian) may not necessarily be the best person to make major decisions such as healthcare, education, and religious upbringing. Likewise, if you have visitation or child support questions, give me a call. I am here to help.

How should assets and debt be handled after divorce?

After divorce, it is important to put together a strategy to save for emergencies, get rid of debt, build wealth, and provide for your family. You likely need a new will or trust. You likely need to re-title property and change beneficiaries on life insurance. If bank accounts have "pay on death" clauses, these will need to be changed. None of the actions above should be done without the advice of an attorney, especially if your debts exceed the value of your assets.